Monday, August 27, 2007

Should We Even Care?

I'm not gonna lie...Vick was my dog. Growing up as a Black southpaw who loved sports, its hard not to look up and wish the best for one of the most electrifying players (no pun) to ever play America's sport, who also happened to be from the state south of me. Vick was the reason I rushed buy every Madden from '04 on, and the only reason I became mildly interested in the Falcons. My mom used to always compare me to Vick, seeing that I played a bit of quarterback in boys & girls club, and watching him dismantle the Vikings in OT, then beat Brett Favre in Green Bay for his first home playoff loss ever were some of my favorite childhood sports memories. We wondered where he'd end up. Would he be one of the all-time greats? Would he be the greatest scrambling quarterback of all time? Could his style of unorthodox, Allen Iverson-with-a-football play actually get him a ring?

Right now, none of this matters since everywhere you look, you'll see replays of Vick walking into courtrooms instead of end zones. You'll be more familiar with Vick bringing weed into airports than him bringing hope of a Superbowl (and not to mention LOADS of money) to Atlanta. You may even know him by Ron Mexico, and his little brother as New Mexico. I'm not here to berate Vick, because he's still one of my favorite athletes. I'm not here to defend him because he got real niggerish with all that bread. But what I am here to say is...should we really care? Yes, give him the penalty he earned and a bit more than his currency can hold off. Yes...Vick may never be what he was when he comes back, and he'll probably live on in the memories of everybody who was around to witness the talent he displayed. I don't mind that. What I am a bit scared of is how Vick's gaining more attention than the Attorney General resigning from this Bush fiasco. Maybe thats why he picked today to do so, to hide behind all the attention that Vick is getting. And normally we are entitled to meddling with the mundane while not worrying about our government because we can always trust them to do the right thing. But right now? Hell no. Push the Vick bullshit aside, along with every celeb cokehead who can't manage rehab and lets focus on the real issue for once...

...how does Joey Harrington sleep at night?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. touche'.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.